Skip to main content

Eating for England by Nigel Slater




Any one who knows me knows I adore Nigel Slater.  He is pure comfort and joy.  I absolutely love his writing and I was surprised that I wasn't aware of this little gem of a book before.  (It was published in 2007).

As stated from the book, Eating for England is Nigel Slater's personal portrait of the British and their food.  A celebration of the glories, humour, eccentricities and embarrassments that make up that extraordinary thing that is the British table.

This a collection of mini essays celebrating such delights as Faggots and Gravy, Murray Mints, Oxo Cubes, Fruit and Nut, Frys Five Centres, Boiled Brussels Sprouts , Quality Street, Colmans Mustard and Sarsons Vinegar to name but a few.

This book is nostalgic, funny, and is a delight to read.  As usual when I read anything by Nigel, I hear his voice in my head, as if he is personally reading it to me.

I loved this and gave it 5 stars.

Happy reading

Love Lesley xx  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Catch Up

 Hi All I've been absence from this blog for a while as unfortunately my beloved hubby has been diagnosed with cancer.  We have caught it early and the prognosis is very good and positive.  It has been a strange year all round and the last couple of months have been more stressful and worrying to say the least. Things are now on the up and thus I feel it is time I get back into updating this little blog of mine, and this little catch up is to say I am coming back.  I am planning more regular content, showcasing my crafty endeavours, what I'm reading and life in general I am also pondering a better and more productive blog schedule for 2021. Watch this space. With love and wishing you a good week Lesley xx

Cookbook Challenge 2- Chinese Food in Minutes by Ching-He Huang

I am a huge fan of Ching-He Huang and Chinese Food in Minutes is a much beloved cookbook in my house and is much used.  This Fried Sweet Chilli Chicken dish is a firm favourite and I have cooked this dozens of times. In fact, I've cooked so many times now, I don't even have to open the cook book. The  recipes calls for chicken thighs and drumsticks, but I use chicken breasts as I find this cooks much quicker. This week I served with wedges, other times I serve with rice or chips. It even goes nice with pasta. This is a truly delicious dish, it is easy to make and packs a real punch.  I would definitely recommend this book, especially for anyone who loves Chinese/Asian flavours. What cookbooks have you been cooking from lately? Happy cooking, eating and reading Love Lesley xx

Sunday Crafting - Card #1 Jar of Flowers

Today's make is using the new Stampin Up Jar of Flowers stamp set with the 2020-2021 In Colours Designer Series Paper in  Misty Moonlight. I stamped the image in Misty Moonlight and  I coloured the flowers using some felt tip pens and I used an old Hobby craft butterfly punch and yellow gems from my stash. I am really pleased with this card as it has been a long time since I have made one.  The stamp set is so lovely and versatile and comes with a Jar punch (although I totally forgot to use it for this card). Wishing you a happy Sunday Love Lesley xx